A Non-Traditional Discovery Learning Experience
For one full and exciting week, junior students and some faculty members will be engaged in a non-traditional discovery learning experience called Washington Business Week.
Small “companies” of students will operate their own business for eight virtual quarters, solving the problems small businesses encounter with growth, production, and demand. Through our hands-on approach, students will gain a vision of how math, science, English, technology, history, art and other curriculum will apply to their life after high school. In turn, they may be more inclined to excel in these subjects once they have actually applied them to these “real life” situations.
A businessperson from the Grays Harbor area will mentor each student company as they move to compete against the other student companies. Competitions include a business simulation, a marketing and stockholder’s presentation and a Trade Show. By the fifth day, Friday afternoon, each student will have:
· A real world understanding of business and America’s free enterprise system;
· An appreciation of how to apply what they learn in school to the “real world” workplace;
· Improved leadership and teamwork skills – – making each student a better Montesano team player and a better future employee and/or employer;
· An enhanced understanding of the importance of a diverse workforce; and
· Increased self-confidence.